Monday, June 06, 2005

Can't scratch that itch

So I had told myself that come hell or high water I was going to the WSOP this year. Now, that the WSOP is upon us, I am wavering in that resolution. Why? For a number of reasons, but the chief concern is that I have only a small amount of vacation left after taking some earlier this year for our trip to Ireland and an excursion to Vegas.

I sometimes envy those college kids that can take off to Vegas or LA at the drop of a hat, seeing as they have few responsibilities to worry about. However, I still would rather keep those responsibilities than throw them away for a few turns of some cards. But it is nice to live vicariously through them!

Case in point: A young University of Texas student named Jason Su. I have played with Jason on a number of occasions, mostly pot limit games, but we have also locked horns in a few no limit games as well. The truth is, while Jason may be a rookie in years at the table, he has an uncanny wisdom with regards to cards. I am not sure if it is his layed back personallity that makes you think he is not a threat, or his ultra casual appearance - be it sweat pants or pajamas...)yeah, that's right, pajamas....I guess if you are going to play, you might as well be comfortable doing so). It just so happens Jason was in Vegas on my last trip there and having some time to kill ended up hanging out in the room I shared with Gambling Steve at the Rio for a while. I would like to tell you that there is a reason to dislike this kid who just took first in a WSOP event at Harrah's New Orleans a couple of weeks ago (and a nice 6 figure purse to spend), but truthfully, he is a genuine likable guy. I look forward to living viacarious through this young poker pro who will surely make a lot more noise in the future.

OK, so what about the WSOP? Am I going? Let's say that I haven't ruled anything out yet. If I don't go, I'll for sure make another trip to "Candy Land" in late July to attend a family wedding. Guess I'll for sure use those free nights at the RIO for making platinum reward status one way or another!

No comments: